Section-56(GST). : Collection of tax at source
1. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in the Act, every electronic commerce operator (hereinafter referred to in this section as the “operator”), not being an agent, shall collect an amount calculated at the rate of one percent of the net value of taxable supplies made through it where the consideration with respect to such supplies is to be collected by the operator.
Explanation.- For the purposes of this sub-section, the expression "net value oftaxable supplies" shall mean the aggregate value of taxable supplies of goods or services, other than services notified under sub-section (4) of section 8, made during any month by all registered taxable persons through the operator reduced by the aggregate value of taxable supplies returned to the suppliers during the said month.
2. The power to collect the amount specified in sub-section (1) shall be without prejudice to any other mode of recovery from the operator.
The amount collected under sub-section (1) shall be paid to the account of the appropriate Government by the operator within ten days after the end of the month in which such collection is made in the manner as may be prescribed.
3. Every operator who collects the amount specified in sub-section (1) shall furnish a statement, electronically, containing the details of outward supplies of goods or services effected through it, including the supplies of goods or services returned through it, and the amount collected under sub-section (1) during a month, in such form and manner as may be prescribed, within ten days after the end of such month.
4. The supplier who has supplied the goods or services through the operator shall claim credit, in his electronic cash ledger, of the amount collected and reflected in the statement of the operator furnished under sub-section (4), in the manner prescribed.
5. The details of supplies furnished by every operator under sub-section (4), shall, in the manner and within the period prescribed, be matched with the corresponding details of outward supplies furnished by the concerned supplier registered under the Act.
6. Where the details of outward supplies furnished by the operator under sub-section (4) do not match with the corresponding details furnished by the supplier under section 32, the discrepancy shall be communicated to both persons in the manner and within the time as may be prescribed.
7. The amount in respect of which any discrepancy is communicated under sub-section (7) and which is not rectified by the supplier in his valid return or the operator in his statement for the month in which discrepancy is communicated, shall be added to the output tax liability of the said supplier, where the value of outward supplies furnished by the operator is more than the value of outward supplies furnished by the supplier, in the manner as may be prescribed, in his return for the month succeeding the month in which the discrepancy is communicated.
8. The concerned supplier shall, in whose output tax liability any amount has been added under sub-section (8), be liable to pay the tax payable in respect of such supply along with interest, at the rate specified under sub-section (1) of section 45 on the amount so added from the date such tax was due till the date of its payment.
9. Any authority not below the rank of Joint Commissioner may serve a notice, either before or during the course of any proceeding under this Act, requiring the operator to furnish such details relating to—
- (a) supplies of goods or services effected through such operator during any period, or
- (b) stock of goods held by the suppliers making supplies through such operator in the godowns or warehouses, by whatever name called, managed by such operators and declared as additional places of business by such suppliers -
as may be specified in the notice.
10. Every operator on whom a notice has been served under sub-section (10) shall furnish the required information within fifteen working days of the date of service of such notice.
11. Any person who fails to furnish the information required by the notice served under sub-section (10) shall, without prejudice to any action that is or may be taken under section 85 , be liable to a penalty which may extend to twenty-five thousand rupees.
Explanation.— For the purposes of this section, the expression ‘concerned supplier’shall mean the supplier of goods and/or services making supplies through the operator.