24. Provisions relating to a Tax Return Preparer
(1) An application in FORM GST TRP-1 may be made to the officer authorised in this
behalf for enrolment as Tax Return Preparer by any person who satisfies any of the
conditions specified below, namely:
(a) (i) he is a citizen of India;
(ii) he is a person of sound mind;
(iii) he is not adjudicated as insolvent;
(iv) he has not been convicted by a competent court for an offence with
imprisonment not less than two years; and
(b) that he is a retired officer of the Commercial Tax Department of any State Government or of the Central Board of Excise and Customs, Department of Revenue, Government of India, who, during his service under the Government, had worked in a post not lower in rank than that of a Group-B gazetted officer for a period of not less than two years; or
(c) he has passed:
(i) a graduate or postgraduate degree or its equivalent examination having a degree in Commerce, Law, Banking including Higher Auditing, or Business Administration or Business Management from any Indian University established by any law for the time being in force; or
(ii) a degree examination of any Foreign University recognized by any Indian University as equivalent to the degree examination mentioned in clause (i); or
(iii) any other examination notified by the Government for this purpose; or
(iv) any degree examination of an Indian University or of any Foreign University recognized by any Indian University as equivalent of the degree examination and has also passed any of the following examinations, namely.-
(a) final examination of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India; or
(b) final examination of the Institute of Cost Accountants of India; or
(c) final examination of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India; or
(2) On receipt of the application referred to in sub-rule (1), the authorised officer shall, after making such enquiry as he considers necessary, either enroll the applicant as a Tax Return Preparer and issue a certificate to that effect in FORM GST TRP-2 or reject his application where it is found that the applicant is not qualified to be enrolled as a Tax Return Preparer.
(3) The enrolment made under sub-rule (2) shall be valid until it is cancelled.
(4) If any Tax Return Preparer is found guilty of misconduct in connection with any proceeding under the Act, the authorised officer may, by order, in FORM GST TRP-4
direct that he shall henceforth be disqualified under section 34, after giving him a notice to show cause in FORM GST TRP-3 against such disqualification and after giving him a reasonable opportunity of being heard.
(5) Any person against whom an order under sub-rule (4) is made may, within thirty days from the date of the order under sub-rule (4), appeal to the Commissioner against such order.
(6) A list of Tax Return Preparers enrolled under sub-rule (1) shall be maintained on the Common Portal in FORM GST TRP-5 and the authorised officer may make such amendments to the list as may be necessary from time to time, by reason of any change of address or death or disqualification of any Tax Return Preparer.
(7) Any taxable person may, at his option, authorise a Tax Return Preparer on the Common Portal in FORM GST TRP-6 or, at any time, withdraw such authorisation in FORM GST TRP-7 and the Tax Return Preparer so authorised shall be allowed to undertake such tasks as indicated in FORM GST TRP-6 during the period of authorisation.
(8) Where a statement required to be furnished by a taxable person has been furnished by the Tax Return Preparer authorised by him, a confirmation shall be sought from the taxable person over email or SMS and the statement furnished by the tax return preparer shall be made available to the taxable person on the Common Portal:
Provided that where the taxable person fails to respond to the request for confirmation till the last date of furnishing of such statement, it shall be deemed that he has confirmed the statements furnished by the Tax Return Preparer.
(9) A Tax Return Preparer can undertake any or all of the following activities on behalf of a taxable person, if so authorised by the taxable person to:
(a) furnish details of outward and inward supplies;
(b) furnish monthly, quarterly, annual or final return;
(c) make payments for credit into the electronic cash ledger;
(d) file a claim for refund; and
(e) file an application for amendment or cancellation of registration.
(10) Any taxable person opting to furnish his return through a Tax Return Preparer shall-
(a) give his consent in FORM GST TRP-6 to any Tax Return Preparer to prepare and furnish his return; and
(b) before confirming submission of any statement prepared by the Tax Return Preparer, ensure that the facts mentioned in the return are true and correct.
(11) The Tax Return Preparer shall-
(a) prepare the statements with due diligence; and
(b) affix his digital signature on the statements prepared by him or electronically verify using his credentials.