37. Income of Rresearch Association [Section 10(21)]
Any income of a research association, approved under section 35(1)(ii)/(iii) is exempt from tax, if following conditions as specified in section 10(21) are satisfied:
1) Income should be applied or accumulated wholly and exclusively for the objects for it established.
2) Funds should not be invested or deposited for any period during the previous year otherwise than in any one or more of the forms/modes specified in section 11(5). However, this condition is not applicable in respect of the following:-
(i) any assets held by the research association where such assets form part of the corpus of the fund of the association as on the 1st day of June, 1973;
(ii) Debentures of a company acquired by the research association before the 1st day of March, 1983;
(iii) any accretion to the shares, forming part of the corpus of the fund mentioned in sub-clause
(i), by way of bonus shares allotted to the research association;
(iv) voluntary contributions received and maintained in the form of jewellery, furniture or any other article as the Board may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify,
1. Exemption shall not be denied in relation to voluntary contribution [other than voluntary contribution in cash or voluntary contribution of the nature referred to in (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) supra]subject to the condition that such voluntary contribution is not held by the research association otherwise than in any one or more of the forms or modes specified in subsection (5) of section 11, after the expiry of one year from the end of the previous year in which such asset is acquired.
2. Exemption is not available in relation to any income of the research association, being profits and gains of business, unless the business is incidental to the attainment of its objectives and separate books of account are maintained by it in respect of such business
38. Income of a News Agency [Section 10(22B)]
In case there is any income of a news agency set up solely in India for collection and distribution of news and which is so notified in this behalf shall be fully exempted provided such income or accumulated income is used solely for collection and distribution of news and not to be distributed in any manner amongst its members.
The approval given under this section shall be withdrawn if the news agency has not applied, accumulated or distributed its income in accordance with the prescribed conditions, the notification issued under this section shall be cancelled.
39. Income of some Professional Institutions [Section 10(23A)]
Any income (other than income from house property and income from rendering any specific service or income by way of interest or dividend on investment) of an professional institution/association is exempt from tax, if the following conditions are satisfied:
1) Professional institution is established in India for the purpose of control, supervision, regulation or encouragement of the profession of law, medicine, accountancy, engineering or architecture or such other notified profession.
2) The institution applies its income, or accumulates it for application, solely to the objects for which it is established.
3) The institution is approved by the Central Government by general or special order.
40. Exemption of Income Received by Regimental Fund [Section 23AA]
Any income received by any person on behalf of any Regimental Fund or Non Public Fund established by the armed forces of India for the welfare of the past and present members of such forces or their dependents shall be exempted from tax.