Amendment to [ Section-115-O & 115-Q ] w.e.f. Assessment Year 2019-2020 under Income Tax Act.
At present dividend distributed by a domestic company is subject to the following provisions-
Tax treatment of dividend [not being deemed dividend under section 2(22)(e)]
Tax treatment of deemed
dividend [which is covered by section 2(22)(e)]
1. Declaration, distribution
or payment of dividend by
a domestic company
Domestic company (which declares, distributes or pays dividend) is subject to dividend tax under section 115-O
[dividend tax: 15/85 of amount distributed (+ SC + EC)]
Dividend distribution tax under section 115-O not applicable
2. Dividend in the hands of shareholders of a domestic company
• Aggregate dividend (from all domestic companies received by a shareholder) up to Rs. 10 lakh - Exempt from tax under section 10(34)
Aggregate dividend exceeding Rs. 10 lakh - Amount in excess of Rs. 10 lakh is taxable in the hands of shareholder under section 115BBDA [ rate of tax: 10% (+ SC + EC)]
Taxable in the hands of recipient under Section 56 under the head “Income from other sources”
• Amendment - Sections 115-O and 115Q have been amended with effect from April 1, 2018. After this amendment, loan or advance given by a company (on or after April 1, 2018) which is deemed as dividend under section 2(22)(e) will be subject to the following provisions —
1. On such deemed dividend, the company which gives loan or advance will have to pay dividend tax under section 115-O at the rate of 30% (without grossing up) [+ 12% of such tax as surcharge + 4% of tax and surcharge as health and education cess, effective rate: 34.944 %.
2. Such deemed dividend will be exempt in the hands of recipient by virtue of section 10(34)
All efforts are made to keep the content of this site correct and up-to-date. But, this site does not make any claim regarding the information provided on its pages as correct and up-to-date. The contents of this site cannot be treated or interpreted as a statement of law. In case, any loss or damage is caused to any person due to his/her treating or interpreting the contents of this site or any part thereof as correct, complete and up-to-date statement of law out of ignorance or otherwise, this site will not be liable in any manner whatsoever for such loss or damage.
The visitors may click here to visit the web site of Income Tax Department for resolving their doubts or for clarifications